Tips for Avoiding Fraud and Scams
If you get a call saying youíre a winner but you don't recall signing up for a contest - beware! It's likely a scam. Here are some helpful tips for protecting yourself from telephone scams, which are one of the most common forms of fraud.
- Donít pay any money to collect supposed sweepstakes winnings. Legitimate operations wonít require you to pay to collect your winnings.
- Itís against federal law to play a foreign lottery Ė so if you get a call it is likely a scam.
- Never wire money to anyone with whom you are not familiar.
- Never provide anyone with personal information such as bank accounts, pin numbers or Social Security numbers.
- Check any unfamiliar area codes before returning calls.
- Be aware that there are many 3-digit area codes that connect callers to international telephone numbers Ė especially 876.
- If you do not have Caller ID, consider adding it to your phone service so you can avoid answering calls from unfamiliar numbers.
- If you do not make international calls, ask your telephone provider to block outgoing international calls.